Be an IllumiNative! Check out the current opportunities to become part of the IllumiNative team below. Careers will be posted as positions become available.
Position Title: Director of Communications and Storytelling
IllumiNative believes in the power of story and its ability to move hearts and minds, to help catalyze action, to build power for Native peoples, and its ability to help fuel social and policy change. We believe that if we can change the existing story of Native peoples-one shaped by invisibility, false narratives and toxic stereotypes, fueled by big systems of K-12 education, pop culture and media-that we can change the present and future of Native peoples.
Reporting to the Deputy Director and serving as an integral member of the IllumiNative team, the Director of Communications and Storytelling will be responsible for leveraging the mission, values and differentiating elements of IllumiNative to tell a simple, yet compelling narrative of the unique value proposition of IllumiNative. The Director will employ a variety of platforms to achieve communications and storytelling goals including traditional and social media, print materials, presentations, multimedia, diverse art forms among others. In addition, this position will be an internal leader of a culture of storytelling for IllumiNative and will directly supervise creative team members and related consultants.
The Director of Communications and Storytelling will also serve as a key leader in developing and implementing our national narrative change strategy via trans-media storytelling and communications. Success in this role will depend on the development and distribution of an integrated marketing and storytelling plan to strategic audiences that enhances and promotes IllumiNative’s brand, strategic approach and narrative change goals.
Key Requirements of the Director of Communications and Storytelling
- Uncovering, capturing and building storytelling assets for each organizational function (case studies, social marketing, leadership keynotes, etc.).
- Supporting leadership in using narrative to connect the organization’s past, present and future.
- Overseeing and designing consistent messaging across all brand channels.
- Tailoring messaging for different audiences and strategic goals.
- Optimizing key engagement metrics, such as views, clicks, shares, likes, etc.
- Conducting qualitative testing with various internal and external audiences.
- Reporting on results to leadership, managers, board of directors, etc.
In-depth understanding of:
- Best practices in the fields of communications, marketing, narrative change, advertising and branding.
- Modern media, including social, key content distribution channels and SEO/SEM, and digital and mobile marketing practices.
- Traditional media, including radio, TV, print, packaging, OOH
Candidate should demonstrate:
- A great eye for design.
- A passion for story, narrative structure and the creative arts.
- A skillful understanding of data reporting and analytics.
- A proven ability to communicate and work across divisions, languages and cultures.
- The courage to try things that have never been tried before.
- The salesmanship to sell things that have never been tried before, to internal and external audiences.
- A deeply authentic approach to linking the personal and the professional.
To read the full position description, please click here. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Lincoln Cornshucker at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applying is July 31st.